We are no longer accepting sites for the 2017 season. If you are interested in joining us for the Spring 2018 season, we will begin accepting applications in June 2017. Contact Program Manager Denise Pang at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Inspire girls to be joyful, healthy, and confident. Keep the program going strong at your school!
Continue the program at your school!
Each year, Girls on the Run of Silicon Valley is committed to inspiring more girls to be joyful, healthy, and confident by providing more opportunities to participate in Girls on the Run and Heart & Sole at schools throughout Santa Clara and Santa Cruz Counties.
We aim to re-accept all of our interested returning program sites every year. We also look to add a limited number of new Girls on the Run and Heart & Sole sites.
Our goal is to make starting and leading your team a fun, easy, rewarding experience! We provide coaches with curriculum books that include detailed lesson plans and the materials you will need for every practice. We do the back-end work so that you can spend your time making a difference in the lives of the girls on your team!
When is the 2017 Season?
- All programs start the week of March 6, 2017, and culminate with the Girls on the Run 5K on Saturday, May 20, 2017, at Vasona Park in Los Gatos.
- Teams meet twice a week for 10-weeks (plus one week off for spring break). Lessons take place after-school and are 90 minutes in length. Coaching requires a flexible afternoon schedule as all sites meet on weekdays, generally between 2:00 pm and 5:00 pm.
How Do We Sign Up for the 2017 Season?
- All returning program sites must:
- Review the 2017 Program Information Packet (see below).
- Submit a site application and have all vollunteer coaches at the site submit coach applications.
- Be approved for the season!
How Many Volunteer Coaches Do We Need?
- All sites must have 2 coaches per team plus 1 additional coach for flexibility. Visit our Become a Coach page to learn more about coaching!
- All coaches MUST commit to being at BOTH lessons each week; we build in a safety net with 1 additional coach so that in case a coach has to miss a lesson due to a flat tire, trip, illness or other unforseen circumstance, your site will still have the minimum number of coaches (2 per team) present.
- Sites can have 1, 2, 3, or 4, of what we call "teams." Each team can have up to 15 girls.
- New sites are encouraged to start with 1 team their first year. At sites with 2 or more teams, all the girls meet at the same time and place on campus. They are then broken out into smaller groups of up to 15 girls for all parts of the lesson except the Workout, which they do together.
- The number of "teams" at your site determines the number of girls who can sign up and the number of coaches you must have.
|# of TEAMS at your site
||MAXIMUM # of girls who can register
||MINIMUM # of coaches required
||MAXIMUM # of coaches allowed
2017 Season Program Information Packet
Please review our information packet to learn all about starting a team at your school!
What Our Principals are Saying:
“Our school serves a variety of girls that come from different cultures, ethnicities, academic standing and socio economic status. Girls on the Run gives them an opportunity to build positive relationships with each other, regardless of their background. It is wonderful to see them develop their physical, social and self-esteem skills while having fun! Thank you for making a difference in their lives!!”
-Dianne McEntee, Principal, Oster Elementary, Union School District
“Girls on the Run promotes sportsmanship, athleticism, and self-confidence in little girls who would might otherwise never experience the joy of running. In fact, the program is so popular that many weeks you will find teachers running alongside their students, cheering our girls on. Thanks Girls on the Run for helping us to build a greater community at Washington!”
-Maria Evans, Principal, Washington Elementary, San Jose Unified School District
“Students told me they felt more confident speaking in front of others, sharing their opinions in class, and proud of the decisions they were making. Girls on Track was an amazing experience for both the girls and coaches; we can't wait for next year's program to begin.”
-Kristen Jaquet, Principal and Girls on Track Coach, West Valley Middle, San Jose