Girls on the Run of Silicon Valley is committed to making GOTR and GOT available to more girls throughout the Silicon Valley community (Santa Clara and Santa Cruz counties) each year. If Girls on the Run is not in a school in your area, we can help you bring GOTR your way. Consideration as a Girls on the Run site is based on "readiness to participate" criteria (see below) as well as on a "first come, first serve" basis. We add a limited number of new sites each year. Site applications can be turned in at any time, but must be submitted by the September 15th deadline for consideration as a spring site. Sites for spring GOTR and GOT programs are identified by late October of each year.
The deadline for new sites to apply for Spring 2013 has already passed and we are no longer accepting new applications.
If you are interested in starting a new program for our 2014 season, please complete our New Site Interest Form to be alerted as soon as the 2014 Site Application becomes available. Also, please review the documents below if you are interested in bringing the program to your school in the future, as the basic information will remain the same.
Site Applications must be competed every year, even for returning sites. Site Applications for our Spring 2013 Season were due no later than September 15, 2012. Applications for Spring 2014 programs will be available in late spring/early summer 2013.
- Coach Applications must be completed by both new and returning coaches each year. We are no longer accepting coach applications for our Spring 2013 Season but will post our Spring 2014 Season Coach Application form when we post our Spring 2014 Season Site Applications. In the meantime, please complete our Coach Interest Form if you would like more information about becoming a GOTR coach for our 2014 season!
Please make sure that you are on our mailing list to receive updates and reminders.
Please feel free to contact Miyoko Beetem, GOTRSV Program Director, with questions about starting a new site for spring 2014! Take a look at our map of program locations for our complete list of our 2013 program locations - many, but not all, will be returning for Spring 2014 and we will be adding several new sites.
checklist to host the program
If you would like to help bring Girls on the Run or Girls on Track to a new school in Santa Clara or Santa Cruz counties, here is what we need from you. While Girls on the Run provides almost everything needed to run the program, the site is required to provide the following:
- Provide 3 coaches who can commit to all of the lessons for 10 weeks. All coaches will be screened and must attend a one-day training session to become a GOTR coach. Becoming a coach is a VOLUNTEER commitment. GOTR may be able to assist in finding coaches to help at your site, but at least one coach needs to be identified in order to get started and submit an application. One coach per group must also be CPR/First Aid certified. Our Spring 2014 Season Site Application and Coach Application will be available in late spring 2013 - check back soon!
- Provide a safe, dedicated space for outdoor running. This does not have to be a track - a field or large blacktop area is fine. We prefer that the area is separate from other activities to limit distractions for the girls. Access to water and bathrooms is also a must.
- Provide a "rainy day" location (classroom, gym) that is indoors. This is just in the event of heavy rain. Ideally this will be the same space each week so that girls know where to go in case of rain.
- Choose two days each week for the program to meet (an hour and fifteen minutes for each session).
- Provide completed site application showing principal support and approval for the program.
- Assist with communicating with the girls and parents in the school about the program, including passing out flyers or putting information in the school newsletter.
For more information on starting a new program, please contact Miyoko Beetem, GOTRSV Progam Director.